Saturday, July 11, 2009

I spent Thursday morning in Nancy, which is about 30 minutes south of Metz by train. I first went to the tourism office to get a map. The map actually had suggested walking routes based on the amount of time you have available. While I studied the map, I had coffee at a cafe in Place Stanislas, a beautiful square in the middle of Nancy. I also quickly stopped at a famous "art noveau" glass shop, Daum Boutique. The little glass figures were so intricate, beautiful, and EXPENSIVE.




I then started on my little walking route. One of the first things I came to was the Jardin Godron, a mini botanical garden, which alone made the trip to Nancy worthwhile. The flowers were beautiful, and I got some great pictures.

The rest of the walking route featured some "art noveau" architecture, a couple of cute squares, and Nancy's fine art museum. The paintings where very similar to the museum in Strausburg--strong religious/Roman theme. The bottom floor, however, was devoted to art noveau decorative items--bowls, vases, candlesticks, etc... very intricate and beautiful.

Before heading home, I bought a torte de Lorraine and had lunch in the Parc de la Pepiniere. They had a rose garden and a mini animal zoo with peacocks, goats, monkeys, horses, and donkeys.


No comments:

Post a Comment